Strawberries over red velvet french toast @ Yolk in River North. I struggle every time with the sweet vs savory brunch conundrum, but I couldn’t refuse what was essentially a grilled red velvet cake complete with buttercream swirl.
Friendsgiving potluck appetizers (green bean casserole with fried onions, beef and cheese lasagna, cornbread, pumpkin bread) & the only deep dish pizza worth eating in Chicago @ Pequod’s. Last day before a long weekend, and is it bad I’m already dreading Monday? Clients that pretend a “by end of year” deadline doesn’t actually mean December 20 (is anyone productive from 12/23 - 1/1?) … … … I’ve also made 3 attempts to see Ender’s Game in theaters and was foiled every time — starting to think the universe is not-so-gently telling me to just let it go (likely for good moral reason).
Chicago dipped below freezing all weekend so I scrambled to Chinatown for some pig ears, hand-pulled beef noodle soups, and soup dumplings @ Hing Kee with @moutheyes. Only two more days before a luxurious long holiday that revolves around eating until I burst!! It’ll be my first time home for Thanksgiving in seven (!) years, and I get to play hostess because @cmao's coming back with me~ Kind of hilarious that the second time we're meeting in person is with my family in tow, but get ready for the Immigrant Dream: ultimate Asian-American suburbia edition (ﾉ◕ヮ◕)ﾉ～★
French toast sampler (strawberry, lemon, caramel, and blueberry) @ Batter & Berries in Lincoln Park. Had a group planning session today for my Dubai trip next month with some college friends. Christmas please come faster~
Two of my favorite things in Boston: the downtown Public Garden in bloom and ricotta cannoli @ Modern Pastry in the North End. When I think about it, Boston is tied with Carmel for the longest that I’ve lived in one city (7 years each way), but this past trip made me realize that I still can’t think of Boston as home, even in past tense. It was great to see old friends and revisit old haunts, but I felt anxious to leave, like I didn’t belong or no longer had a proper space there. The more you move on, the harder it gets to look back.
Mongolian hot pot (part mala/麻辣 broth, part black chicken broth) with shaved sirloin and seafood platters @ Q Restaurant, the new gem of Boston Chinatown. Waited almost an hour for a table despite calling ahead; luckily they keep a full bar. AL asked why I only seem to call him out to Chinatown, but I just really… love… Chinatown(s)…
Also couldn’t leave Boston without some pho and seafood congee @ Pho Viet in Super 88, the forever Asian food court of my hearteu ♡
Last trip check-in from the safety of my bed in Chicago! Some food I ate:
- Homemade spinach & ricotta puff pastries
- Egg waffles from a tiny vender (literally just an aiyi with a cart) in Chinatown
- Convincing char kway teow & pork dumplings in the Financial District
- White sauce pizza, my eternal weakness
- Bacon pecan spinach salad
- Wasabi-crusted salmon
- Lobster mac ‘n cheese @ Boston Chowda Co.
Feels good to be back, but now I need all the cold medicine… ㅜㅜ
Korean food appreciation post: yukgaejang (shredded beef stew with scallions), banchan, kalbi beef tacos, kimchi french fries, 3 different kinds of bibimbap, and fried chicken @ Joongboo Market in Belmont, del Seoul in Lincoln Park, and CRISP in Lakeview.
Flying out to Boston today for a work trip (with a healthy dose of leisure planned) and updates will be sporadic until I get back on the 16th. Have a good week~ ☆
@pursuit's birthday dinner @ Uncommon Ground! Korean-spiced fried calamari, baked artichoke and goat cheese dip with grilled baguette, fried green tomato sandwich, kale and wild mushroom pappardelle, locally-sourced fried fish and chips, and pumpkin chocolate bread pudding with requisite candles. I always forget S. is the baby of girl gang because she’s so polished and composed; she kept despairing about growing old throughout dinner while we made sour faces at her. (Bonus outtake: E^2 pile)
- picking up macarons for girl gang @ Bittersweet in Lakeview
- leftover jack o’lanterns on Broadway
- snacks on snacks on snacks @ Joongboo Market in Belmont
- bread + cheese (that they make you order separately…?) + grapes, rice, and wrath cocktail @ Billy Sunday in Logan Square, followed by Bar Deville in Ukranian Village, then ended the night/morning @ Hangge Uppe in Near North (a decision that I FOUGHT BITTERLY AGAINST but was outvoted at 3 AM)
Bye October! Some leftover food & drink:
- Easy weekday dinner: throw sliced chicken into a boiling pot with dry pasta, add kale 3-4min before pasta finishes cooking, drain and serve with sauce + shredded cheese (I used swiss). Takes 15min tops.
- Buffalo chicken & pepperoni mozzarella pizza @ Seven Ten in Lincoln Park
- Salmon bento @ Hatsu Hana in Lakeview
- Northern City that played kpop on overhead speakers during our feast
- Wild orange oolong that steeps into a beautiful pink
- Beer of choice for Halloween weekend
Lightly breaded sauteed eggplant, cumin-infused lamb rack, pork pancake sandwiches, and whole poached fish in hot chili oil @ Northern City in Bridgeport. All the flavors were on point - the savory sweetness of the vegetables, the spicy cumin combo, the numbing chili broth. Felt awesome to see a proper northeast/东北 restaurant rather than the usual Canto/Sichuan hybrids. Girl gang doesn’t mess around.
Current contender for best burger in the city & duck gravy over potato hash with fried egg @ Au Cheval in West Loop. After years of casual sampling, I think the bun makes or breaks a burger for me, and the ones at Au Cheval are luxurious enough to sleep on.